Thursday, July 2, 2009

It's Sort of Official

I just got off the phone with the woman who will probably be our midwife. Her name is Rebecca, from Great Expectations Birth Care. The things I like about her are that she is actually a Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM), and has a couple of master's degrees in nursing and the like. Because she's a CNM, unlike most midwives who deliver at home in Utah, she can prescribe medicine and ultrasounds and things like that. Which is really nice to know in case something came up! I mean, it will still be a natural birth, but if I suddenly had problems with extreme morning sickness, she could prescribe meds for that.

Also, she actually has a small ultrasound in her office. She said she mainly uses it for measurements and to check if a baby is breech or not, and it's not detailed enough to really tell gender. (But she can order an ultrasound from a doctor when I want that.) BUT this does mean that when I go in for my first prenatal, I'll be able to see the little blob that is becoming my child. Which is pretty awesome, I think. I really wasn't expecting that since I'm going with a midwife.

Talking to her really took away some of my concerns that have been lingering. I can't really explain it, but it feels like I'll be well taken care of with her. She said she's only had three second time moms (of 240+) transfer to the hospital. First time moms the rate is about 10% which is decent. The book I read said make sure the transfer rate is less than 15%. I'm trying to put thoughts of transferring out of my head, and make it mentally not an option. But at the same time, I know that it's a possibility and I'm going to try not to beat myself up if I do need a transfer for some reason. Hmm, that probably makes no sense to anyone but me.

I have an appointment with her for July 21. I'm really hoping Gary will be able to make it. I believe I'll be about 10 weeks pregnant then. I'm also hoping we can figure out the payment plans so it's not stressful for us. We want this and I believe it's important, but I don't want it to hurt our family financially. That's another blog post for another day though. I'll be sure to post after my appointment, and MAYBE even have pictures to scan in so you can see my Blob or Blobbette!

No comments:

Post a Comment